The Zunz Foundation was established on August 10, 1864, the 70th birthday of Leopold Zunz, by his friends and students, and continued its work through its closure in 1939. The funds for the Foundation were placed at Zunz’s disposal for the publication of his own writings, including the three volumes of his Collected Works (1875/76). After Zunz’s death in 1886, the Foundation board extended grants to various scholars for the publication of their books on Jewish history and Hebrew literature. The Foundation’s archives include correspondence with notable authors such as Wilhelm Bacher, Gustav Dalman, Solomon Schechter, and Hermann Cohen. The letters range in content from formal issues to important scholarly discussion.