The Archive

The Leopold Zunz Archive was housed at the Hochschule für die Wissenschaft des Judentums in Berlin until 1939, and was spared destruction at the hands of the National Socialists at the last minute. It was brought to Jerusalem and entrusted to Gotthold Weil, the then director of the National Library of Israel. Weil created the provisional catalogue of all the documents contained in the Archive; the catalogue retains the order of the files as they were originally organized in Berlin. The Archive is presently found under the signature of ARC 4° 792 in the Archives Department of the National Library of Israel. It comprises approximately 25,000 pages and contains four distinct collections:
1) The estate of Leopold Zunz
2) The estate of Lazarus Bendavid
3) The archive of Association for the Culture and Sciene of the Jews"
4) The archive of the Zunz Foundation

The Project

Since October 2007, within the framework of a project supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG), the documents found in the Zunz Archive are being digitalized, reorganized and rendered accessible to the wider public through the Internet. The materials found in the Archive will be re-structured according to their content and registered with the catalogue “Kalliope” for posthumous papers and autograph manuscripts.

The Partners

The development and digitalization of the Archive is a project of the Leopold Zunz Center at Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg (Germany) in cooperation with the National Library of Israel (Israel), the Franz Rosenzweig Minerva Research Center for German-Jewish Literature and Cultural History at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and the University and State Library Saxony-Anhalt. The technical realization of the project will be handled by the firm semantics GmbH in cooperation with Walter Nagel GmbH & Co KG.


Project Manager:
Prof. Dr. Giuseppe Veltri
Evelyn Burkhardt
Dr. Rachel Livneh-Freudenthal
Paul Maurer
Grit Schorch